Saturday, September 23, 2017

Day 62



Lately, I have noticed Millie favorite thing to do is go hiking in the woods. This seems to be the activity that she becomes most excited about.  When she sees the leash and gets in the car, her head is held high and she looks out the window wondering where the next adventure will be.

Because of her enthusiasm, I thought it would be handy to have her start to wear a backpack to hold my keys, phone, her doggie bags, a foldable water bowl and water bottles, treats or any other item that could deem useful on a long hike.

I hadn't a clue how she would act when I put on her new back pack for the first time.  She seemed scared to move at first.. She didn't move an inch for several minutes until she saw me grab the leash and head for the door.

She slowly started walking towards me... Eager to not miss out on where it is I may be going.

Needless to say, that same day, I had her hiking a nearby, local trail to observe how she would behave.  The pack was empty as I want to build her stamina and confidence up before I decide to put all the common items needed for a day of hiking.

As of today, Millie has been hiking at the Turkey Creek Nature Preserve, Oak Mtn. State Park, Black Creek Park, Red Mtn. Park, Gardendale's new 'GUT' trail, Ruffner Mtn. and she has visited several walking trails, a festival and has walked street sidewalks and is seen with me on a daily basis.

I am thinking about giving Millie a tour of Alabama's state parks as out of all the activities, it is hiking that she seems most fond of!




No comments:

Post a Comment