Saturday, August 19, 2017

Day 25






Millie's life seems to be in full color now!  She is vibrant, playful and has finally started to realize that this is her home. She loves her back yard and will ask to go outside just so she can lay in the grass, look up at the sky and feel the warmth of the sun.

It is as though she has never seen any of these things before and she is just now seeing them for the first time.  When I take her on walks, she loves taking her time and makes sure to look at each blade of grass and rock.  I even catch her watching the butterflies floating by.

She has discovered her 'favorite' toy and loves to walk around with it in her mouth.. she shakes it around, chews on it, tosses it up in the air and prances around in circles as though she is showing it off to me.

It warms my heart to see her play, relax and enjoy life.  I often feel that a pet should show people how to have fun and enjoy life but I feel that it has been opposite as I have literally spent the past 3 weeks trying to show Millie how to let loose, have fun and enjoy the ultimate 'dog's life'.

So far she has learned to love car rides, she enjoys exploring but still is timid to go new places if she hasn't been there before, she loves to play with Lola and will run big circles around in the yard in hopes Lola will chase her. She still has not barked although she has become a little vocal when she plays with Lola..

I do not want to take Millie's trust in me lightly and make sure to find ways on a day to day basis for her to know she is safe in my care.

Caring for a dog who was once considered '2nd hand', 'rejected', and 'someone's trash' really has been a humbling experience.  It has shown me first hand how much good a person can do to another being but it also shows me how much bad an individual can do to another person.

It really all boils down to choices..

As I wake up and get my day started, I have a  new sense of gratitude in knowing that, yes.. even little ol' me has made a difference in another being's life.  There is no other feeling in the world that I would want to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment