Sunday, August 6, 2017

Day 10

Silly Millie and Millie Vanilli are just a couple of nicknames we've given Millie over the past week and a half.  Her personality seems to be shining through and we have found that she can be quite goofy as she trots around, her jowls flopping and her eyes open wide.



She loves to be outside, so I have been slowly incorporating Lola's daily walk with Millie. We are up to about a mile and half walking to which I feel she can walk longer but I'm going to wait before I push her with an exercise regime.

Right now it's all about fun!  I want her to feel and act like a dog.. to which she has seemed to pick up naturally.  She loves to run around in our fenced in back yard and I have even seen her play with some toys.. she still isn't sure why I throw a ball and doesn't know to run after it.


She is still timid around people she does not know and will lie down in the middle of the walking track until a jogger passes by but she doesn't try to pull on the lead and is great on leash.  She hates any loud noises such as my hair dryer, ice maker, washer and dryer, vacuum cleaner, thunder, cars.. you name it.. if it makes a noise, she jumps or tries to run away.. It wasn't until we started going on walks I was able to take notice that her once jumpy demeanor is now more subtle.

 I still notice that she still does shy away if I give her too much attention, as though she doesn't know what to do when someone praises her.

I must say that I've never had a dog that was shy or timid and believe that Millie too will be able to get past her shy spell over time by continuing to introduce her to new experiences and always making them fun for her as I already see a small change with just the few activities I've shared with her.

It is just under two weeks and already her hip bones and rib cage are slowly starting to soften up and disappear as she fills it with muscle and a soft belly.

I believe she has roughly 15 more pounds to gain.  When we got her she was 31 lbs.. after week one she weighed roughly 35 lbs and just by looking at her, I do believe she may have hit 40 lbs now and I believe that her healthy weight will be closer to 50 lbs when it is all said and done as she still has a lot of room to work with.



The most exciting part of this process is to see progress!  I love when she wags her tail and smiles, when she runs around in our yard and plays.  I also love to see when she gains weight and when she comes into her own skin.  Gary and I can't wait to see what she looks like once she is at her healthy weight.

We are guessing that she will look like a Pit mix but the fun is wondering what she is mixed with. We think English Bulldog because of her stocky, wide muscular features and Hound because of her long torso and snout.

Whatever she may bloom to be, we couldn't be happier to see her enjoying life and I often shudder at the thought of not knowing what my life would be like without her in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment