Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Millie - Day 1





For the past month or two I have been volunteering at the Greater Birmingham Humane Society (GBHS) and just within the short time I have been there, it has changed my life for the better.  I have become not only more aware and hands on with some of the sweetest, most loving dogs I've ever met but it also brought me to her.. whom I have decided to name 'Millie', which in some cultures, this name's meaning stands for determination and strength.. which I found very fitting for her situation.

I discovered Millie on the GBHS lost and found section of their website ten days ago and for those ten days my mind wondered to her picture.  She looked defeated, sad, unloved.. and it was that moment, I wanted to be the one to show her love and be her shelter for when she is scared. That day I discovered her photo, I made sure to contact whoever I could to let them know I felt convicted to take her as my own if the GBHS would find a way to let me help her heal and recover.

Thankfully the staff worked with me and has agreed to let Gary and me foster her through the GBHS foster program and eventually.. we are wanting to adopt her once she is healthy enough. She was found as a stray and by the looks of her she has been without food for months!

She is a bit shy and timid.. she is unsure if she is allowed inside and she was almost too scared to move for the first half of her day at our home. She keeps her head down, as though she is scared to look you in the eyes and her tail has stayed between her legs for the most part...

This all slowly started to change when we picked her up to lay her on our couch. it was like a confident booster as though she was thinking.. 'Gee!!!  I must be good enough to be sitting with them." Her head raised slowly and I saw her tail wagging..

Success for Day 1!!!

2 comments:

  1. LeighAnn, I just came across your blog and wanted to tell you I am really enjoying it.And, your Millie is a doll.i didn't know people could be a volunteer at the Humane Society,i will absolutely check in to this. What a good thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ki!!So thrilled to see you will look into some of their amazing programs from volunteering to fostering. it is very rewarding to know you are making a difference in other's life.

      Delete