Sunday, July 30, 2017

Day 5

Day 5 has been our best day yet.  She is starting to show a little bit of her playful side when it is just me and Gary.. but still very timid and cautious around people she does not know.  My life long, childhood friend, Stacie, made the sweet effort to visit her this weekend. She brought a bag full of goodies for her and spent some time with her in hopes that Millie will slowly come around.


Millie is seeking out affection more and I have noticed on many occasion when sitting down next to her, she puts her paw on my lap or lays her head on me. Just this morning, I awoke to the weight of Millie's heavy head laying on my stomach.. where as night's prior, she would keep her distance at the foot of the bed.



I can tell that her energy levels are up as she isn't sleeping as much as she did when she first arrived. She has more pep in her step and is finishing her three meals a day without effort.  I thought it be appropriate to start giving her some simple challenges that will help socialize her.

We started out by taking her and Lola on a car ride.  We decided to drive through Chik-Fil-A.  We caught glance of Millie, who was laying down in the back seat.  She did not seem timid or scared and I honestly feel it has a lot to do with observing Lola and her behavior... I still have to pick her up to get in the car but after her 2nd car ride.. she figured out how to jump out all by herself.

After Stacie's visit.. Gary and I walked Lola and Millie to our neighborhood store that is across the street.  The lady working loved Millie and let us take the dogs inside while we purchased a drink.. Millie's tail was tucked underneath her and I could tell she was nervous.. but she did a great job and let the lady pet on her without trying to run or pull on the leash.. As we left the store, I couldn't help but notice her head up, her tail wagging and a big smile on her face.. as though she felt she had accomplished something.



I am finding that including Millie with little things such as a car ride, a walk across the street and hanging out in our TV room on the couch are all great ways to build her confidence.  She is starting to feel like she belongs here now and is starting to make herself at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment