Monday, May 9, 2016

Emotionally Invested








I have debated over publicly announcing my grief and sorrow over the tragic loss from a recent session I captured but I feel it important to express.  My job is a personal one as I photograph and witness so much between families and loved ones that I felt this is something I must acknowledge. 

Over the past several years I have come to know the Reed and Brooks family through years of documenting some of the happiest times in their life so when I attended the funeral service for their infant son Bennett earlier today, I found myself reminiscing from the first time I photographed Eric and Britney.

The sudden death of Bennett was one of the hardest things to try and comprehend.  It felt like a bad dream.  This surely is not reality.. I just saw them all a week ago for Bennett's newborn session. It was a rainy Sunday afternoon.  I walked over to him, fast asleep in his rocker.. I crouched down and told him hello.  He stretched his arms out and gave me a big yawn as he pressed his tiny hands up to his face.. I was excited about our upcoming year together, seeing him grow, sit, stand, capture his walk.

In just a week's time it is amazing how life can change.  My brief encounter with this precious soul has forever left his footprint on my heart.  As I looked around the room during his service I saw how many lives he touched during his short time on earth. There was not a dry eye to be found and you could hear a pen drop from the heavy silence of sorrow.

All these years of capturing this beautiful family's smile and laughter has me at loss for words today. My heart aches for them as they must make sense of this all.  I love the Brooks and Reed family, as they have welcomed me into their lives over the years.. Please keep them all in your thoughts and prayers as they endure the pain of losing their beloved baby boy.

Bennett Cameron Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment